These Gruyere Buttermilk Waffles are the most versatile waffles of all time. The gruyere cheese is a bit nuttier and is more compatible to sweet components versus cheddar. While the saltiness from the cheese brings out any sweetness from any waffle toppings you may want to pair this with – berries, clotted cream, maple syrup etc
This particular recipe makes a lot of waffles but save the leftovers to pair with our Fried Chicken. So Saturday you can have waffles with berries + cream + bacon and then Sunday you can have Fried Chicken and Gruyere Buttermilk Waffles with Pickled Sour Cherries to make the BEST Waffle Weekend ever. Why is #WaffleWeekend not more popular?
Below, we also give you a few topping options to really make this breakfast over the top. But you can also change it up by switching out the cheese (try white cheddar, parmesan, gouda or even camembert)
Gruyere Buttermilk Waffles
Makes 8 hearty servings
- 2 cups of organic unbleached AP flour
- 1/4 tsp of kosher salt
- 1 cup of organic whole milk
- 3/4 cup of half and half
- 3 tsp of aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup of freshly grated gruyere cheese
- 4 organic extra large eggs, separated and set aside
- 2 tbs of pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup of organic raw sugar
- 1/2 cup of organic butter
In a medium mixing bowl, sift in the dry ingredients – flour, salt, baking powder. Add in freshly grated gruyere, whisk and set aside.
Using a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks with sugar until completely combined. Add in milk, half and half, melted butter, and vanilla. Mixing extra gently, slowly add in the liquid to the dry ingredients until just combined.
Grab a third bowl, whisk the egg whites until their fluffy and stiff. Very gently fold the whites into the batter until right before it’s combined.
Make the Gruyere Buttermilk Waffles according to your waffle maker’s instructions, set the machine to slightly extra crisp and golden browned.
Serve Gruyere Buttermilk Waffles immediately.
TTF Favorite Combinations:
- waffle + strawberries + sweetened whipped cream
- waffle + sliced plums + sweetened ricotta + crispy prosciutto
- waffle + brûlée bananas + warm maple syrup + crispy pancetta
- waffle + blood orange segments + crème fraîche + basil