Heads up. Let’s keep it real, if you want to make this exact DIY Strawberry Costume, it’s sort of time-consuming especially if you’re sewing this by hand. But I have a couple of shortcuts for you if you’re on a time crunch. I love this costume because it’s not hindering to your productivity (you can still move around your arms and legs) but it’s still super festive.
I roped my friend Nancy into being a banana with me but next year I’m going to make my whole friend group do the DIY Fruit Costumes with me.
1 red t-shirt
1 fabric covered headband
2 sheets of yellow felt
2 sheets of green felt
A sewing needle
1 safety pin
To make the hat:
- Cut 8 large 6” leaves out of the green felt. Cut one 2 inch heart out of the green felt.
- Sew the leaves together with the ends pointed out.
- Using the heart, top the center of the leaves. This will not only clean up the look of your hat but also hold the structure of your hat together.
- Using the layer of fabric on top of the headband, attach the leaves to the band by sewing the leaves into the fabric of the band.
Easy version: Use a hot glue gun and glue the leaves to the headband.
To make the shirt:
- Cut about 15 yellow tear drop shapes out of the yellow felt. This will act as your “seeds.”
- Use the safety pin to secure the placement of the seeds to your shirt.
- Using the yellow thread, stitch the seeds to the shirt and intersperse them all over.
- Try not to make them too evenly spaced out so that your strawberry costume has more of a natural look.
Easy version: Using the hot glue gun, you can glue the seeds to the shirt. But go easy on the glue!
Check out the rest of TTF’s 1st Annual DIY Food Series!